Humans have always been fascinated by animals, but the world always gives us more reasons to be amazed. There are many rare animals that you may never have heard of or that you never expected to see in your lifetime. Even animals you think you know occasionally give us surprises, such as being born with unusual coloring or shapes.
1. The clouded leopard might be rare, but it’s the state animal of Meghalaya.
2. In 2019, a black leopard was photographed in Africa for the first time in over a century.
3. New Guinea has tree kangaroos who live in the country’s tropical rainforests.
4. Antarctica’s penguins don’t always come in black and white; some are fully white or fully black.
5. This albino koala strikes a pose in a tree in Queensland, Australia.
6. Przewalski’s horse, also known as the Mongolian wild horse, was once extinct in the wild.
7. A mutation in the American lobster can cause them to become bright blue.
8. The South China tiger can only be found in zoos today.
9. This giraffe is snow white because of a condition called leucism.
10. The Gerp’s mouse lemur was not discovered by humans until 2012.
11. A rare genetic condition caused this flamingo in Cyprus to become black rather than white or pink.
12. The lemur frog was once common throughout Costa Rica.
13. These cat-like genets were filmed in Namibia where they are rarely seen.
14. This golden zebra, whose unique coloring can be attributed to albinism, was spotted at Kenya’s Maasai Mara National Reserve.
15. The Ayam Cemani chicken from Indonesia is literally black to the bone.
16. The Lilac Silverline butterfly is a rare insect found in Asia.
17. This rare, white reindeer calf was spotted in Norway.
18. This cute pika was seen in China’s Tian Shan Mountains.
19. This long caracal cat was spotted in Tanzania.
20. Ribbon seals develop white ring-like markings on their black fur after molting.
Bonus: Sand cats were once quite rare but their population has grown over the years.
Do you know of any other rare animals? Or of any animals, like the sand cat, that stopped being rare? Let us know!